Thursday, August 23, 2012

London-Bromley Post

Four gorgeous matched horses.
The highlight of the Janeiacs' trip to the Walnut Hill Driving Competition was seeing an 1860s London-Bromley Post Coach that actually traveled the route discussed by Elizabeth Bennet and Lady Catherine de Bourgh in Vol. 2, Chapter 14 of Pride and Prejudice. It even had the name of the coaching inn that Lady Catherine recommends painted on the side.
Notice the name of the coaching inn,
 "The Bell," painted under the seat.
Click on the photo for a larger version.

Bromley is painted above the front wheel.

A very impressive sight. The coach is huge. 
 If you would like to see more photos from Walnut Hill click here.

Vol. 2, Chapter 14 of Pride and Prejudice

"And if you will stay another month complete, it will be in my power to take one of you as far as London, for I am going there early in June for a week; and as Dawson does not object to the barouche-box, there will be very good room for one of you -- and indeed, if the weather should happen to be cool, I should not object to taking you both, as you are neither of you large."

"You are all kindness, madam; but I believe we must abide by our original plan."

Lady Catherine seemed resigned.

"Mrs. Collins, you must send a servant with them. You know I always speak my mind, and I cannot bear the idea of two young women travelling post by themselves. It is highly improper. You must contrive to send somebody. I have the greatest dislike in the world to that sort of thing. Young women should always be properly guarded and attended, according to their situation in life. When my niece Georgiana went to Ramsgate last summer, I made a point of her having two men-servants go with her. Miss Darcy, the daughter of Mr. Darcy, of Pemberley, and Lady Anne, could not have appeared with propriety in a different manner. I am excessively attentive to all those things. You must send John with the young ladies, Mrs. Collins. I am glad it occurred to me to mention it; for it would really be discreditable to you to let them go alone."

"My uncle is to send a servant for us."

"Oh! -- Your uncle! -- He keeps a man-servant, does he? I am very glad you have somebody who thinks of those things. Where shall you change horses? -- Oh! Bromley of course. If you mention my name at the Bell, you will be attended to."

2 comments:

  1. I can imagine that riding in the outside seats of a coach such as that must have been exhilarating - particularly the seats to the very rear - and at a full gallop! Oh, my!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the reason why the outside seats were cheaper. Older male passengers and almost all female passengers were content to leave the "exhilaration" to the reckless young men and/or the impecunious!

    ReplyDelete