Please mark your calendars now for this fall's Syracuse Region meetings and other events of interest to CNY Janeites:
• On Saturday, September 8, at the Colgate Bookstore (3 Utica St., Hamilton) at 2 pm, Heather Elia will lead the Jane Austen Book Club-CNY in a discussion of Persuasion. Announcements of other fall JABC meetings will be listed in the "Events" column shortly.
• On Saturday, September 15, at the Pittsford Barnes and Noble (Rt. 31, Pittsford) at 1 pm, JASNA Rochester is kindly allowing your RC to "beta-test" her breakout presentation for the Brooklyn AGM, "Sex, Power, and Other People's Money: The Prince Regent and His Impact on JA's Life and Work." Again, please see the "Events" column for announcements of other fall JASNA Rochester meetings.
• On Saturday, September 22, at the Liverpool Public Library (310 Tulip St., Liverpool) at 2 pm, JASNA Syracuse will welcome a JASNA Rochester friend as the speaker for our Michaelmas meeting. Professor Emeritus Leo Rockas of the University of Hartford will discuss his recent paper in JASNA's Persuasions journal, "When Did Darcy Fall in Love?", and address other questions about Pride and Prejudice. This is the first of several meetings we hope to have on P&P during this, its bicentennial season (it was published in January 1813).
• The Annual General Meeting itself--always the high point of the JASNA national year--will be held at the Brooklyn Marriott from Friday, October 5, to Sunday, October 7 (with several events both before and after). In addition to Mary Pinkes's essay prize presentation (see the preceding post) and Marie's breakout session, our Co-RC Lisa Brown will be presenting her popular Regency fashion show for women, "Dressing the Miss Bennets."
• On Saturday, November 3, at RiverRead Books (5 Court St., Binghamton) at 2 pm, our All Hallows meeting will be devoted to parents and parent figures in JA's works. Those attending the May Day discussion of villains and schemers picked this topic--and it's possible to argue that in JA's fiction, it may be only a short step from villains and schemers to parents! Agree or disagree?
• And we'll be having a joint Christmas/JA's birthday meeting with the JABC in Hamilton on Saturday, December 8. Time, venue (either the Colgate Inn or the Colgate Bookstore), and topic are TBA, but please do save the date!
Finally, a warm welcome to those who have joined JASNA since July 1--and warm encouragement to those of you who are not yet JASNA members to join (just go to this link). Remember, this is our only requirement for JASNA Syracuse Region membership; we charge no regional dues.